Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tithing

Eric gets paid once a month. The last day of the month. I spend the first few days of the month paying the bills, writing out lists and shopping for the month. I also write out a check for tithing as the first check of the month. Today I realized I wrote out the first tithing check of a new year, 2010. Each time I write out a tithing check I say a little prayer and ask the Lord to help us make it financially through the month, then I write Him a check....at least that's how I feel about it.

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In the church we are asked to pay 10 percent of our earnings. At the end of each year we go see our bishop for "Tithing Settlement". This is the time we declare to our bishop if we are full/part or non tithe payers. It is also a time when the bishop can share some thoughts or counsel with us. I've learned to really love that experience.

I have also learned to "LOVE" paying tithing. Is it a sacrifice? Sometimes at the first of the month when I write out the amount it feels like a sacrifice. But each and every month I can witness that we are blessed abundantly for our small 10 percent of our earnings. Eric and I feel that everything we have comes from the Lord and since He has commanded that we pay 10 percent of our earnings that is what we are suppose to do.

I just want to share with you about December...the month we just said goodbye to. As you know December can be a stressful month financially because of Christmas. I remember praying at the beginning of the month as usual that we'd make and have the ability to help others if possible and have a good Christmas. Eric came home one day with two gift cards from his administrators, one night the doorbell rang and we found an envelope stuck to our door with our names on it and money in it as well as a little card thanking us for our example, a friend gave me some money for shoes, Eric's mother sent money which we know is a sacrifice for her and we used that money to get stocking stuffers for our kids. We were able to contribute a bit to our ward Christmas fund, but we received FAR more than we gave. Somehow as I sat down to end a month and begin another in my check book we had money at the end of the month. I don't normally focus on the money end of blessings, but on a few days at the beginning of each month I do, since that is what I am dealing with, our finances. There is a term used in the scriptures about the "Windows of Heaven being opened and pouring out blessings" when we pay our tithing. I know that is true. We may not always feel it financially as much as I did in December, but each and every month as I write out the tithing check I try to think of the blessings that have come to us as a direct result of paying tithing.

It is a blessing to pay tithing.

1 comment:

Linde said...

I so agree with this. I have often felt there are very few (if any) things we can become perfect at, but Tithing (I think) is one of them. Now if I could quit thinking fasting is difficult on some Sundays! Ah, the Oreos... ;)