Wednesday, June 30, 2010

This morning!


This morning I woke up very early.
Why?
Well, because it is the last day of the month and I needed to register one of our cars.
Oh.
So I made it to the Provo, DMV by 7:20 am and was finished by 7:25 am.
Nice!
Yes, VERY NICE.  So much nicer than the days I waited for a few hours in Las Vegas.
This is also Pay Day.
Yippee!
On the last day of the each month I am either making menus and shopping list..or I am shopping from my list.
Today, since I was already going to be in Provo, I decided to do my Costco shopping in Orem.
One problem.
What?
Costco does not open until 10 am.  I had to think of something to do for two and a half hours. 
Oh.
I had brought a book along with me, but I didn't really feel like sitting in the car and reading because it was so beautiful outside.
So I got in the car and started driving.  I went East on Center Street in Provo.  I enjoyed driving by all of the beautiful old homes, most of which had flags waving outside preparing for the 4th of July and the Freedom Festival.  The flowers were LOVELY.  Lawns so green.  It was thrilling.
Then, I turned left on 900 East..or 9th East as we Utahns say.
Went past some familiar sites...like "Laundry on 9th", "Gold's Gym", The "BYU Creamery", The "MTC", and the "Provo Temple".  When I passed the temple, I soon came to Canyon Road...I turned right and decided to head to Provo Canyon.  The thought came to my mind in this way....
"Hey, I could drive to Canyon Glen and read"
Cool.
So I drove up Provo Canyon, passed Canyon Glen because I didn't see the sign quick enough.  Turned around at a park named Nunn's Park and headed back to Canyon Glen.
The parking lot is so much bigger than I recall..so I drove to the edge of it, nearest to an open park area.  I saw GREEN and more GREEN and paths, beautifully paved path's.  I know I'd never seen those before.  A pavillion with lots of picnic tables, an amphitheater, and more picnic tables scattered throughout the park.  So, instead of grabbing my book to read, I grabbed a different book. A little book I like to write in and a pen.  Locked up my car and headed through a little gate in to Canyon Glen.
Let me tell you that as soon as I walked through the gate, a few memories flickered in my mind.  I spent a bit of time at Canyon Glen in the 1980's.  Some of those times were with friends, other times were alone, like today.  I would write in my journal, pray, think, just appreciate being able to find a way to pull myself away and retreat to the mountains, just for some rejuvenation.  I'm like that, I've always been like that.  I love the beach and ocean as well, but I've not had as many experiences at the ocean as I have in the mountains.  I like to think, ponder, dream, talk to God and try to listen, and just be quiet and listen to nature.  So, when I was in college and also when I returned to work in Provo, Canyon Glen became a retreat for me.  Not far in to the canyon, but far enough. 
As I walked along the path that lead me in to the park, the memories began to fade and I found myself pulled by the sound of the river.  The Provo River.  I made it on to a nice walking/running/biking path. I followed it and headed farther in to the canyon.  It was so green, cool breeze and people were jogging and biking past me, but I just kept up my solitary pace and enjoyed each moment, each leaf, each glimpse of the river's flow, each bird, each cricket and the majestic moutains.  I walked for awhile, then decided I better turn back.  So I did and when I came back to Canyon Glen, I followed a smaller path back down in to the park and found a picnic table to sit at. Pulled the pen out of my pocket and opened my book and wrote.
That is awesome.
I'd like to share this park with my family now.  I think Spencer, Camilla and Neal will love running in the green grass.  Eric will love the paths and beauty of the park as well.
I also hope to return with friends.
I promise to return alone as well, on another day when I need to find a retreat, a place to recharge what is deep within me.  I hope to return and write more. 
Here are a few pictures of Canyon Glen and the path...I didn't take them, I didn't have my camera.  These are in Fall.  I look forward to returning in fall.  Today was overcast, green and cool.
A PERFECT MORNING! 
  
Canyon Glen
The foot bridge that you can cross to get to Canyon Glen and the walking path.

P.S...I did make it to Costco by 10 am and shopped for all the items on my list for two hours, went home to put it all away and then went to Walmart to finish my shopping there.  I do not enjoy shopping, but today, I actually didn't mind it...hmmm.

3 comments:

Linde said...

Canyon Glenn has changed a lot in 28 years. I think it has been improved a ton.

Glad you got to go up there yesterday--a nice little break for you. :)

Stephanie said...

Scott would chastise you for going to: 1. a remote location 2. by yourself, 3. alone, 4. not telling others where you are! I can just hear him. He kept voicing his concerns for strangers on our hike at Grotto Trail. I can just hear him if he knew you did this, "What was Inez thinking? This is the perfect place for some psycho to snatch her up and drag her into the bushes!" I think we watch a little too much "Forensic Files" and "Investigation Discovery" around here.

However, you were obviously watched over and it was nice to hear you got some much needed alone "thinking" time, and what's been mulling around in your head. LOVE it Inez. Also glad to hear you got all you shopping done. What a great planner you are:0)

As the World "Kerns" said...

Yes, it has improved a ton, Linde! We should go together sometime.

Steph..I know, I can hear him too! I'm surprised he didn't lecture me through email or something. It was a great morning and I was blessed! I did think about for a bit though and actually heard his voice of warning in my head..then I prayed and I took my chances. LOL!