Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Good Father

What makes a good father?  I've been thinking about fathers a lot today.  I know tomorrow is Father's Day and that is part of the reason I have been thinking about fathers.  The other reason is because I spent the day with my dad, mom and sisters. 
 We are going through mom and dad's home and cleaning each room; working with dad and mom to either throw things away, pass things on to family or Deseret Industries.  It's not an easy task.  Not a job that can be done in one day or two.  This is the third month we have worked on this project.  We have cleaned a computer/craft room, my parent's bedroom and closet, two bathrooms, closets in the hallway and some of their livingroom.  Two of my brothers, John and Robert, worked on the kitchen last weekend and did a wonderful job.
I'm not going to go on and on about this project, but I bring it up because going through items that have been in my parent's home and in their possession even before they lived in the home they are in today has made me reflect a lot on my life and how I grew up.  My parent's live in the home that my grandpa and uncle built in the 1970's, there is a lot of family history and memories there.
I grew up with a loving father.  I have memories of my dad being fun, funny, supportive, hard working, and willing to help almost anyone.  There are many things I remember about my dad.  Sometimes I agreed with him and his perspective and other times I did not.  As a teenager, I didn't always appreciate his point of view.  As an adult I have appreciated his constant concern for my welfare as well as the other members of my family.  I have appreciated his willingness to continue to work hard and serve others.  I have watched him give a lot of care for my mom as she has gone through different surgeries.  I have watched him drop whatever he is doing to go help one of his children who might need extra support.
I'm now in the process of watching my dad age and have some experiences that are very difficult for him.  Now, I am watching us, as his children try to follow his example of being supportive, helping him accomplish some projects that he's unable to do himself and take some time out of our daily routines to spend time giving him some extra support.

What makes a good father?  A man who practices what he preaches.  A man who loves his family.  A man who serves others.  A man who honors his wife.  A man that puts his arms around his children, no matter how old they are and gives them a hug and kiss and says, "I love and appreciate you".  A man who teaches you about Jesus Christ, Heavenly Father, Prophets, Prayer, Testimony, Scriptures and Enduring to the end.  
A man who tries his best.

I am blessed to have a good father.
I am blessed to have married a good father for my children.
I am blessed to have had many good men in my life who have been and still are good examples of fatherhood to me.
I am blessed to have a good father in law.
I am blessed to know I have a Father in Heaven.
Happy Father's Day to the Men in my Life.    
     
Spencer, Neal (Who is not very happy), Eric and Camilla
 
The only professional family portrait we have. Taken, in 1991 shortly after John returned from his mission.  This portrait hangs in my parents bedroom over their bed.
Dad and his girls.  Bev, Wanda, Dad and me.Bev, Mom, Wanda and me.

Happy Father's day to my love, Eric, may your kids love you as much as I love my dad!
Thank you, Eric, for being a GOOD FATHER! 
Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

How very touching Inez! I LOVED reading this post. And what a wonderful thing for you and your family to do for your parents. I know it's a lot of work. I'm glad you're able to see the reward in this service. I also, especially like the recent photo of you and your sisters with your dad on Father's Day - Lovely!

As the World "Kerns" said...

Thank you Steph.