Saturday, March 21, 2009

The 70's remembered!

The 70's remembered. I have a dear friend, Tess Church, who declared that the 70's are her favorite decade. She was not born in them, but enjoys them. She blogged about it the other day and she had some good points. It was a simpler time and we didn't have to be as careful about the way we said things, as I understand her, we didn't worry as much about being "politically correct", because that really was not a term back then. However, my teacher's in 3rd through 6th grade expected all of us to answer them by saying, "Yes Sir, No Sir...or Yes Mam, No Mam" We were padded if we got in trouble at elementary school. My teacher in the 4th-6th grades would pick kids up and shake them violently if they we disrespectful or weren't following the rules...etc. The above picture was the beginning of the 70's...I attended kindergarten in 1969-70. Yes, I wore RED! (By the way, this is what I looked like when my husband was born! Almost 40 years ago)

This lovely shot was in 1976. Notice the lovely long hair of the 70's and I believe that was a shirt, not a dress and if I can remember correctly I was wearing my DITTOS, my favorite pants, I still haven't found a shot of me with the pants on. This is Mr. Vassar, he was my teacher for 4th, 5th and 6th grade. This was also the bicentennial celebration year for our country! Tess, this is what Mountain girls looked like in the 70's!
This picture is from the 1982 yearbook, it's a black and white. This is my Farrah Fawcett hair! We all opted to wear the tuxedo for boys and blue feathers for girls. This is the picture that I thought of when I saw a picture that was posted of Scott, Tess' dad and my close friend since BYU 1982-83, his was in 1978, but the feathering is so similar!!! LOL. Wish I could show you that picture, but it's property of Stephanie's BLOG. So if you know Scott, and you want to see some cool pictures and read some great posts, ask Stephanie to invite you...comment on here and she just might!
Yes, the 70's were alright! If I can find a picture of me wearing my Ditto pants, I'll post it sometime. Music was pretty good too...all that disco.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nez! How awesome! Love it! You made MY day! So glad our blog inspired you. These photo's are priceless. I really do hope you find a photo w/the Ditto pants because I never heard of them. Then again, I am more of a visual person, so maybe I really do know what they are but just don't remember their name. You've got me curious:0) Love the cool "cat-eye" glasses you were sporting. When I saw your teenage glam-shot I said to myself, "Wow-that's so Fawcett-esque"! You are good with the hair my friend. Much better than Scott, even. Also, I'd love to meet more bloggers. You're a pretty darn good judge of character so I'd trust anyone you approve of and would be happy to invite them to see my newly created blog. Then, maybe some of them would let me visit their blogs and I'd make new friends... Wouldn't it be fun to get a bloggers 70's photo shakedown goin' on...?!

As the World "Kerns" said...

Thanks Steph! I'll have to check my parents photos out and see if there is a shot of me in my Dittos! Pictures weren't as easily taken as they are now! Yes, I hope more will join in the commenting and 70's fun. Wouldn't that be a hoot..then we'll move in to the 80's, BIG HAIR...your hair was just right though, not too BIG. I loved those blue glasses too..I wore them for several years!

Sanders said...

You do have good hair Inez!

Linde said...

I'll have to see if I can find a picture of me in mine. I think my mom has one. I'll look when I go down.

As the World "Kerns" said...

That would be so great to see, Linde! When I go to my parents I'll have to see if they have a picture of me in mine. I think you're right, they were somewhere around $20 back then! LOL.

Stephanie said...

$20 was still probably too much for my parents to spend on a single pair of pants for me, ha! I'm almost sure mine were hand-be-downs from someone. My mom used to crochet around the bottom of my dresses. That way I could wear the dress longer before I totally grew out of them. How embarrassing! Those are choice photo's. Gotta dig those out somewhere:0) Would love to see a photo of Linde sporting real Ditto's!

Joy Hollingshaus said...

GREAT post, Inez!! Brings back so many memories. I had Dittos too---I remember back then they were about $20... I look at them now and can't believe we thought they were so awesome!