Sunday, August 8, 2010

August..Pro's and Con's

It's August and I have mixed feelings about the month of August.  So far there have been more cloudy, stormy days than sunny, hot days and that is good and bad.  I tend to feel some of the symptoms of depression when the sun doesn't shine for long periods of time or when the weather is TOO HOT or TOO COLD.  So I've been a bit up and a bit down this first week of August. 

Some of my favorite guys have birthdays in August.  Happy birthday to my nephew, Jeremy Duncan; my long time hunk of a friend, Butch Bradburn and my life long obsession, Rick Springfield.  I hope all three have fantastic birthdays and know that they add happiness to my life.

August is the month Eric and I celebrate our anniversary.  16 years!  Yes, I still love him.  Yes, he still has the ability to make me laugh (SOMETIMES), Yes, he's gorgeous!  Yes, he is the kindest, most thoughtful, patient, hard working, unselfish, loving, silly, man I know.  Yes, I still LOVE his smile and dimples.  Yes, he still dances to the beat of a different drum than I do, but he has learned how to "SHAKE HIS BOOTY".  Did I mention that I LOVE him?  Yes, he's a great dad! Yes, I love doing things with him..anything except looking for lost keys or lost children.   Yes, he lets me be me, even when I'm not sure just who that is.  Yes, he is still 6 years younger than me.  Yes, he can lose weight way faster than I can, he can jog 10 miles and I can not walk 10 miles!  Yes, he is FAMOUS in these parts, he was a TEACHER of the year a few years ago...I am still not famous, but I sometimes dream I am famous.   Yes, he likes my friends, even the guys I call "Sexy Men".  Yes, I am okay with him working around mostly females and children ALL DAY LONG and wearing that cologne that makes him smell so good.  Yes, I am blessed to have been married to Eric for 16 years so far and hope I'm good enough for him to want to be with me for eternity.

August is when school starts.  Good and bad.  Since Eric is a teacher, it means he has a job to go to each day, GOOD.  Our kids need to continue on with their education, it's important, GOOD.  Homework..I HATE IT...BAD, Bad, bad for me...booooo.  I'll also miss having my Spencer and Camilla around and so will Neal, he will miss his brother and sister ALOT, which means I will have to PLAY, which I am not so good at.  I keep trying, I really do. 

August is when we have to register the kids for school and come up with all the FEES, register the Honda and come up with the FEES.  Buy shoes for school and any of the clothing that is necessary.  I would really rather spend that money going to See John Mayer in concert on the 31st for our anniversary, but I won't and I won't complain about it anymore.  I've seen him once, that's enough for a girl..plus whenever I say I like John Mayer, someone always says, "I hear he's such a jerk"..to which I think, "All good songwriters, awesome guitar players and amazing vocalists are either depressed, mentally ill, jerks, drug addicts, alcoholics, womanizers or all of the above...except of course Rick Springfield who has evolved in to the perfect celestial Rock God over the last 40 years".  By the way, his biography is coming out this fall..I can't wait to read all about him.  Okay, sorry, that is so off the subject.  Back to August.  August can be very expensive!

The long summer nights start getting a bit shorter in August.  The grass is all shades of green and a bit yellow in August and all the weeds that haven't been pulled are taller than me in August.  But I do think there are more Pro's to August than Con's.  Fall is just around the corner and I think Fall is absolutely gorgeous.  So August, I may have mixed emotions during your month, but I will do the best I can to be happy about you more than I am sad or anxious or angry about some of the stress I feel in August.




 

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I just want to say on thing Inez. You're WONDERFUL! Thanks for being YOU!

As the World "Kerns" said...

Thank you Steph! That makes me feel good. The feeling is mutual my sweet friend.

Linde said...

Ah, I know what you mean. I have been feeling it too....that summer is coming to an end. In reality, my life doesn't even change--just the weather...which I can't stand the thoughts of. I don't want cold!!

16 years of marriage! Wow! Can hardly believe it!! Happy anniversary!

As the World "Kerns" said...

Thank you Linde. I can hardly believe it either. I am not looking forward to cold either. I do love all the seasons and I even enjoy winter for a SHORT time. Ha, ha. Before you know it you will be dealing with the first days of school again; but enjoy this time the preschool age. Can't wait to see you on Thursday!