Sunday, January 11, 2009

Uncle Deon

I'm thinking about my Uncle Deon tonight before I go to bed. He passed away Saturday night. I have many memories of my Uncle Deon and I remember him being there with me or for me through most all of the events that were important in my childhood and young adult days. My Aunt Marie and Uncle Deon have always been such a loving example of a happy marriage and I can't remember there ever being a time that they raised their voice at me or spoke anything but love and encouraging words to me. If they ever were cross with me, I sure do not remember it. I can remember going to their home in North Las Vegas from the time I have any recollection at all. My cousins were my first playmates that I can recall. I admired all of them and still do to this day. I worked for Uncle Deon's son, Cal, for at least the last five years before I was able to be at home, then Eric and I purchased their daughter, Marlene's, home and preschool right before we had Spencer and lived there for 4 years. I was able to work with their son, Lorin, during the time I was at Cal Air as well and even Ron, their oldest son, worked there for awhile. I have visited with Kent in California as a single person and after Eric and I got married and remember great times with him, and Lois and I played together and did things together when we could. So I've had many interactions with my cousins and feel that they've influenced my life as much as my own brothers and sisters and have given me opportunities that I wouldn't have had without them. I love my aunt and uncle and don't have the words to express my gratitude for all they have done for me. I will miss my uncle's calls on my birthday, which only really comes along every four years. I'll miss his hugs and kisses, his spirituality, his laugh, his emotions, his wisdom and most of all his quick and easy expressions of love to me. I pray for my Aunt Marie that she will be comforted. I pray for their entire family that they too will be comforted at this time of loss and separation. How grateful we all are to have the belief of eternal life and families. The last time I saw my uncle was this fall. I had been bottling peaches with my dad and he told me that Aunt Marie and Uncle Deon were coming for a reunion. They called right about the time I was getting ready to leave, I chose to stay around and see them and I am sure glad I did. I was able to receive hugs and kisses and see them hold Neal, I watched as uncle Deon teared up and that made tears come to my eyes too. He called him a miracle. I want to share an email my Aunt and Uncle sent to me during the time Neal was in the hospital.

March 4, 2008
Inez: Thank you so very much sending the lovely picture of your wonderful son. That is so very spcial. Your Father has been keeping us up to date concerning you and the baby. We have had your name on the temple roll. We also hope you were able to enjoy your birthday. It is so spcial (expecially when that special day only rolls around every fourth year. You have progressed more rapidly than those dates however. We love you and your family very very much. Marie & Deon

Hi,

I did get your phone message, I really appreciate that you remember my birthday, it makes me feel good. I held Neal today, he now weighs 3 lbs exactly; I am so amazed by all the miracles that have taken place in a month's time. It was a scarey experience for awhile, but I could feel the peace of the Spirit and I am so thankful for all the prayers. I told Eric that I feel blessed to have our names in so many of the temples, it gives us such a sense of hope and peacefulness.

I'll let you know more as I can. I love you both very much!
Inez

There were many more times that words of encouragement came. We were strengthened so much by knowing our names were in many temples. I remember Uncle Deon riding with me in the car as I went to the Las Vegas Temple for the first time. Like I said before, he's been with me or there for me through many of my life's defining moments and I already miss him. I won't be able to go to his funeral because I'm having surgery tomorrow morning. But I just couldn't rest until I wrote something about him and allowed myself to have some time to remember him. He always gave me a smile, a hug and a kiss and told me he loved me. That is how I will always remember him and I hope he knows I love him too!

Love, Inez

1 comment:

Sanders said...

What a beautiful tribute to your uncle. It seems that he was there for his family on many special occasions(and not so special).Danny said that he was there when he shot his thumb off. Uncle Deon will be missed.