Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dawn

Since this is February, the month of LOVE and the month we celebrate Neal's 2nd birthday.  I thought I might share some "love stories", do a bit of reminiscing and remembering the blessings that "LOVE" has brought in to my life and the lives of my family.

Friendship love is sometimes indescribable.  What do I look for in a friend?  Well, most of the time I don't really think about it.  The people in my life that I would call my friends have been put there by some unseen gravitational pull....a FEELING!

One Sunday after moving here to Payson, I can remember having that "FEELING" to sit by a beautiful woman, who radiated a spirit of pure kindness and humility.  So I asked her if I could sit by her.  I had seen her, watched her with her family, but had not yet had the chance to really meet her.  That is my first recollection of Dawn.  Little did I know that, Dawn, would become someone that would make a tremendous difference in my life.  There are many things I could write about Dawn, but today I'm going to write about an experience that took place two years ago today.

I was pregnant with Neal.  Very sick, high blood pressure and Neal was not doing very well.  I really had no idea just how serious my condition was and wouldn't until a day later.  On February 4th ,2008, I got up, went to the doctor for a check up and was hoping that the medication I was taking had helped lower my blood pressure and that perhaps I would not have to be on bedrest any longer.  That was my hope.  I'm sure that Dawn was taking care of Camilla..unless she was at kindergarten.  I was told that my blood pressure was too high and things were taking a turn for the worse.  I was also told by my doctor that he was going to transfer me to a doctor in Payson.  My heart started pounding harder than usual and I felt fear.  He then said, "I believe they will put you in the hospital and I think you need to be closer to home for that."  I was seeing a doctor in Provo which is about 20 minutes from home.  So I complied and went to those doctors, who confirmed what my doctor had said and they told me they wanted me admitted in to the hospital right away.  I thought I heard them say for 24 hour observation. 

My friend, Dawn, took care of my children for me so I could go home and lay down and prepare for Eric to take me to the hospital.  Eric took me that evening and stayed with me until it was time to go home and help my parents, who came to help with Spencer and Camilla.  When he left I began to feel very uncomfortable.  I tried writing in my journal, reading, praying and soon I started feeling pain.  Pain in the upper right hand side of my abdomen..which was right under my chest at that point and pain in my head and back.  I told the nurse and she tried to help me as much as she could.  I HATE being in the hospital, but I was trying really hard not to think about the WHITE walls and the chlostrophobic feeling that was choking me. 

I don't know what time it was, but it must have been evening, time for little ones to be put to bed and in walked, Dawn.  I just remember that I felt a calm feeling sweep over my body when she walked in the door, smiled at me and began asking how I was.  I could tell she was very concerned, worried and I knew her well enough that I knew she wanted to do whatever she could to make me feel better.  That's just who she is. 

We talked for awhile and I don't remember what we said, I do remember laughing a bit.  Then as I told her about feeling so much pain in my shoulders and head; she began to massage my shoulders and head.  She told me that I probably was experiencing a build up of gas and it wasn't releasing.  I had no idea that could possibly be what I was dealing with.  As time went on I felt some comfort and she continued to rub my shoulders and head.  I think the nurse gave me something to help with the gas as well.  Finally I told her that I was feeling enough relief that she could stop. 

I'm not sure if Dawn stayed much longer than that, or what happened next.  I do know that I was able to sleep. 

There are MANY things I could share about Dawn's ability to just "BE THERE" when I need her and I know there are many things that she did for my family when I could not be there for them.  I appreciate her more than I know how to express in words.

But in this one act of kindness and "LOVE" I knew that Dawn was there to serve me in a way that Jesus Christ himself would have if he were in that room with me.  The Savior washed his apostles feet because he truly loved them.  My friend, Dawn, helped me know that night of suffering, that not only did she love me, but that Jesus loved me too and was not going to leave me alone.  That is who Dawn is to me, the very reminder that I need that I am not alone.  

And that is the one love story I hope everyone gets to experience in their lives, to know they are NOT ALONE and that Jesus sends friends to us to help us through life.

I LOVE YOU DAWN!!!!

No comments: