Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summertime SALAD

I posted a picture of this salad on Facebook and got a lot of responses, as well as request for the ingredients.  It is REALLY good.  I didn't even use the dressing, shared some with Lisa last night at the park and we just drizzled a tiny bit of BYU reduced ranch dressing!  Eric said the dressing is good and sweet. So give it a try and let me know how you like it!
 I served rolls with it as well, and Lisa and I shared an Oroweat bagel..the flat kind.  
Erlene & Maranda's Spinach Salad

Dressing:
Mix hours ahead; it keeps for weeks
2/3 Cup white vinegar
1 1/4 Cup Corn oil
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 Cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds

Salad:
Mixture of salad greens: spinach, red leaf lettuce, romaine, and iceburg lettuces
2 cans mandarin oranges, drained
Feta cheese OR cottage cheese OR Swiss cheese  (I used Feta..LOVE IT)
Slivered almonds, toasted  (I used whole almonds)
Bermuda onion, thinly sliced (If you don't like onions I would suggest still putting some in for the flavor)
Craisins
Mushrooms (optional)
Can also add...sliced carrots, cucumbers, chopped apples
I made the salad about an hour before eating and let it sit in the refrigerator to blend the flavors together a bit more (Nez)
(Erlene Curtis Fairview 1st Ward Relief Society Tried and Treasured Recipes, 2006)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh THANKS! Can't wait to try this at home!

Tara said...

Looks yummy!! Thanks

Linde said...

Can't wait to try it. Hey, would you put the punch recipe with the cucumbers in it on here too? Or FB.

Thanks!